Sunday, February 28, 2010

Absentee Update

So the absence from the web. Well not not entirely true; I have been on Facebook in order show my friends and family of whom I don't see everyday that I am in fact still alive, and sites like Craigslist and other job search engines to find a job. Which I did find one by the way, of all places through Facebook. I'm working behind the register at the Roger Dean Stadium Team Store during their Spring Training season. I'm one month down and one more to go before its over. I've been working there just about every day this month so I haven't had too much leisure time to sit in front of my laptop to type a blog.

I'm almost finished with Shaun Ellis' book The Man Who Lives With Wolves and I've thouroughly enjoyed it. At some parts it just seemed so unreal what he was putting himself through in order to understand and learn about wolves. Though most of the scientific community looks down on his actions, I commend him even though it was dangerous.

The graduate search is coming along. I'm getting away from Animal Behavior tracks and looking more into Wildlife Ecology and Conservation programs. The Wildlife Society has a wonderful site of which includes a list of universities and colleges offering wildlife biology and management degree tracks. Right now, mostly because of costs I'm looking at UF. However, I have high hopes for University of Minnesota. For someone wanting to work with wolves I think this place would be ideal. It is "somewhat close" to the International Wolf Center in Ely by only 5 hours. Not only that, David L. Mech is an adjunct professor. A wolf behaviorist and the founder of the wolf center. What I wouldn't give to be a grad student under him. It would be a dream. I'm going to scour the rest of the list at the Wildlife Society site to seek out other schools.

Since my grades aren't much to get me into grad school alone, I've been looking for entry level positions at animal parks, sanctuaries, etc, but so far all I've found are unpaid volunteer and internship positions. I'm looking specifically at different wolf parks. Again, mostly unpaid. Ah the life of living in limbo...

Watching: Bones, season 3

No comments:

Post a Comment